Thursday 19 September 2013

BASEMENT BATTLE

BASEMENT BATTLE
Tuesday 4th January 2011 (Premier League)
Fulham 3 (Davies 45+1, Dempsey 56, Hangeland 65) West Bromwich Albion 0
Attendance: 23,654
I must admit that the prospect of spending a cold Tuesday night in January hanging around a football ground in West London while two likely relegation candidates battled it out for three points did not appeal to me very much, but on the positive side I had a new pair of Long Johns and a thermal under shirt, so I was fairly well wrapped up.
 
To top it all off, I was assigned pitch side duties, so I couldn't even watch what turned out to be not a bad game, with one goal that apparently screamed into the top corner of Scott Carson's goal at the Putney End. From my position, all I saw was the net bulge as his shot screamed past the former England international.

The Albion fans were good natured and kept up their support throughout the game. One in particular had a very nice looking Asian girlfriend, probably Philippina, though she could have been Japanese.

Before the game, the Albion players warmed up by practicing some volleys, so everyone had to be on full alert for flying footballs. One shot by Peter Odemwingie hit one supporter and it was really good to see him make a special effort at the final whistle to hand over his match shirt to her, by way of compensation. A small but very important gesture that will mean that my opinion of him in the future will always be positive.

Half-time at Craven Cottage during the Fulham vs West Bromwich Albion
game on 4th January 2011                                                          © Stephen Taylor
As for the final score, it was a badly needed win for Fulham, who moved up to 13th in the Premier League, and I'm sure that manager Mark Hughes would rather not have the distraction of Saturday's home game against Peterborough blocking the way of a half-decent run in the league.

No comments:

Post a Comment