Thursday 19 September 2013

OPENING DAY STALEMATE

OPENING DAY STALEMATE
Saturday 13th August 2011 (Premier League)

Fulham 0 Aston Villa 0
Attendance: 25,700
© Stephen Taylor
No goals but plenty of incidents in the Putney Stand. My first experience of Villa fans and they proved to be a bit of a handful, though I think this may have been down to it being the opening day of the season, more than anything else.
Ironically, it was a group of Fulham fans that were the biggest headache, as they had complained about people standing up all around where they were sitting, and expected the stewards to get everyone to sit down. Eventually, I found all seven of them seats in P2, though I later discovered that they had experienced trouble with a Villa fan who was sitting behind them. The only members of the group to thank me, incidentally, were the females.

On a more positive note, I was able to relocate a gentleman with a walking stick to the disabled area, as he was unable to stand up and see the game because everyone around him was doing.
At the end of the game, I had to ask fans to move towards the exits and came across a bunch of Japanese supporters. I overheard one of them talking about Urawa Reds, but bottled out of speaking any Japanese to them, as it might have freaked them out. Thinking back, I really should have said something but next time, I’ll make sure to do so!
The view of the concourse from the top of the Putney Stand
© Stephen Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment