Thursday 19 September 2013

FULHAM LEGEND AT CORNBURY

FULHAM LEGEND AT CORNBURY
Saturday 2nd July 2011 (not the date this post was written, but the day when I met John Fraser)

A brief note to add a meeting I had with a Fulham legend at the Cornbury Music Festival, where I was working as a volunteer steward.

On the only night off when I didn;t have to get up early the next morning, I was chatting to a couple from Skipton, who introduced me to their new friend, an ex-footballer who used to play for Fulham. It turned out to be John Fraser, who had played full-back for the Cottagers in the 1975 F.A.Cup Final against West Ham United. We had quite an interesting conversation, not least because he played in the same team as Bobby Moore, a man who he said was a “real gentleman” He was happy to talk about the final, and descibed the “wall of sound’ he experienced as the two teams emerged from the tunnel at quarter to three.

Though Fulham lost 2-0, John was pleased with his performance and forced Patsy Holland to switch wings at half-time. He remembered the manner in which Bobby Moore calmed everyone down with his relaxed mood, having played at the stadium so many times, though I have a feeling that it would turn out to be his final competitive appearance at the place where he’d picked up the World Cup as captain of England nine years earlier.

We parted with John promising to contact me the next time he plans of visiting the Cottage, so we can have a drink together after the game. Hopefully, he’ll remember to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment