Thursday 19 September 2013

PITCHSIDE BLUES

PITCHSIDE BLUES
Sunday 11th September 2011 (Premier League)
 
Fulham 1 (Zamora 38) Blackburn Rovers 1 (Rochina 32)
Attendance: 24,856
After the rigours of the international on Monday night, I was looking forward to a relatively quiet game against Blackburn. Unfortunately, it was a little too quiet, as I was positioned at the pitchside, one of the worst places to bem especially as I had been established as a vomitory steward for the past six months.

As it happened, I don’t think I missed too much on the pitch, as it was a pretty dour encounter, though there was a nasty clash of heads between Mark Schwarzer and Junior Hoilett in stoppage time of the second half. I didn’t see the incident, of course, and I had to rely on asking the Canadian guy wearing a Toronto F.C. shirt who was sitting in front of me.
I suppose the only benefit of being pitchside is that you get fairly up close with the opposition goalkeepers when they’re warming up. Paul Robinson, the Rovers keeper, was very good with the fans and happily signed autographs for those crowding the front of the stand.
I must admit that if I don’t get my place back in the vomitaries I will seriously consider resigning, as it’s not really worth me doing the job if I’m just going to be pitchside.

Balloons were handed out to everyone entering the Putney Stand for the game
against Blackburn.                                                                       © Stephen Taylor


No comments:

Post a Comment